This sound is made by keeping the tongue at the bottom of the mouth and in a relaxed position. Just open your mouth and say 'urhhh' as if you were at the doctors!
Words with 'er'
person, fern, berth, term, swerve, verse, kerb, concern, her, service, were, certain, determine, nerve
Words with 'ir'
circle, shirt, girl, stir, thirty, swirl, bird, thirsty, flirt, birthday, skirt, dirty, firm, fir
Words with 'ur'
Thursday, urban, return, turn, hurt, surface, curve, purple, curl, burn, Saturday, church, burst
Words with 'ear'
earth, earn, search, earn, pearl, heard, learn, early
Words with 'or'
word, worth, worse, work, worst,
Words with 'eur'
heard = herd
earn = urn
birth .= berth
fir = fur
Here are some sentences to practise
1. "Do you know that person?"
2. The car swerved at the kerb
3. The girl was thirsty.
4. Burt's birthday was on Thursday
5. It was worse that we expected
6. How does it work?
7. The surface was dirty.
8. We returned early.
9. It's an urban project.
10. She had the last word
11. The lady wore a pearl necklace
12. The entrepreneur earned a lot of money
13. She's got a curly hair.
14.We heard some birds
15. It's the most beautiful place on earth.
16. Have you seen 'The Colour Purple?'
17.How do you determine what it's worth?
18. The police searched the area.
19. Ursula curled up on the sofa and read a book.
20. He's a wine connoisseur